INTREPID 500XS 5.0m has been designed to avoid the keyhole effect of targets passing through zenith. In fact, not only INTREPID 500XS provides very fast movements on its axes (it’s able to make a complete 0-360° azimuth rotation in just 30 seconds and 5-175° elevation in just 15 seconds) but it’s also able to flip in elevation allowing continuous tracking of satellites passing to the Zenith. This special feature makes the INTREPID 500XS ground station antenna system the best choice for any satellite communication application.
INTREPID 500XS 5.0m S/X-band ground station antenna system: main features
- 5 meter diameter full dish antenna
- Dual band coaxial S/X feed, dual circular left and right polarisation
- High speed (up to 12°/s) GS-800 antenna tracking system
- Elevation axis flip to track satellites passes through zenith without keyhole effect
- High load capacity C800-HEAVY pier for concrete base
- Automatic tracking based on TLE, also with target offset
- Automatic heating system of internal gears to avoid problems in very low temperature conditions
- Gears sealed from the outside environment with humidity sensor
- Optional optical encoders and maintenance kit
- Provided with developer documentation to integrate in Mission Control softwares
An affordable S/X-band ground station antenna system with 5,0 meter diameter full dish antenna for satellite communication.
Thanks to specially developed technologies, INTREPID ground station antenna systems can be used to support spacecraft exploration and satellite missions in Earth orbit. This ground station antenna system can record telemetry data transmitted to Earth from spacecraft or perform radio science (by adding receivers or transceivers not included with INTREPID). INTREPID ground station antenna systems have very precise mounts that allow accurate tracking of spacecraft, using high directivity antennas – this reduces background noise helping to detect faint signals from spacecraft. Ground station antenna systems are remotely operated to control antenna position, to detect even the faintest signals.
INTREPID 500XS 5.0m S/X-band ground station antenna system: specifications
- Antenna diameter (m): 5.0
- Antenna type: Prime focus
- Working frequency: 2100 – 2400 MHz in S-band / 8300 – 8600 MHz in X-band
- Bandwidth: 300 MHz both in S and X bands
- Feed: Dual S/X band, coaxial
- Polarization: circular, left and right hand
- Mount: GS-800 antenna tracking system
- Pier: C800-HEAVY high load capacity pier for concrete base
- Remote control: yes
- Maximum slewing speed: 12°/sec
- Weatherproof: Yes
GS-800 antenna tracking system with maximum slewing speed of 12°/sec.
The INTREPID 500XS ground station antenna system uses the professional GS-800 antenna tracking system that we have specially designed and built to move the large 5 meter diameter full dish with great speed (up to 12°/sec) and precision, in order to track even fast moving satellites in low Earth orbit. GS-800 antenna tracking system has 800 Kg load capacity with very high precision pointing and tracking (encoders with a read resolution of 0,0003°). It can also be equipped with a special electronic security system (optional) which “parks” the antenna pointed at the Zenith (the vertical position) when the wind exceeds 75 Km/h, offering the lowest resistance to the wind.
INTREPID: Apollo 12 Lunar Module that landed on the Moon just 600 feet from the planned target (Surveyor 3 probe).
INTREPID ground station antenna systems are named in honour of the Lunar Module “Intrepid” that landed on the Moon during the Apollo 12 mission in November 1969. Astronauts were able to land the Lunar module in the Ocean of Storms just 600 feet from the planned target: the unmanned Surveyor 3 probe that previously landed on Moon surface on April 1967. Credits: NASA.